10-05-2013 / 11-05-2013
'Land stewardship: the cultural challenge to land valorisation and biodiversity conservation'
- CONTENT OUTLINE -
Introduction - The main focus of the workshop is on the promotion of Land stewardship as an innovative and powerful tool to protect and valorize land, nature and biodiversity.
A participation process is foreseen to stimulate the engagement of civil society and public institution in a co-creation of an action plan to successfully develop land stewardship in EU countries. The workshop will also an occasion to introduce some practical tools created in the project LandLife, such as an online help-desk and the manual of Land stewardship in Europe.
The workshop is for a wide actors interesting in nature and biodiversity conservation, more particularly:
Landowners (including farmers) keen to learn about what land stewardship could mean for them, what the benefits of land stewardship are and how they can apply land stewardship;
- Site Managers working on nature conservation in and outside Natura 2000 sites;
- Staff working in outreach / public information functions;
- Staff working directly to support implementation of Natura 2000 and other protected areas;
- Volunteers working to conserve nature on a local and/or regional level;
- Stakeholders in local communities;
- Land stewardship organisations.
The main workshops’ objective is to share information and builds practical know-how to apply land stewardship agreements and improve their management, more specifically:
- To communicate land stewardship as an effective tool for nature and biodiversity conservation;
- To exchange experiences and best practices;
- To increase knowledge on land stewardship
- To facilitate contacts and synergies between entities to define opportunities and cooperation in the framework of the Landlife project and on land stewardship initiatives.
- Strengthened Italian network of land stewards and land stewardship organisations
- Recognition of land stewardship as a complementary tool of nature protection and land conservation by political representatives, public officers and experts
- An action plan for the dissemination and further development of Land Stewardship in Italy and Europe
Keywords - Land conservation, civic engagement, biodiversity, soil care
- Land stewardship as an innovative tool to halt soil consumption and biodiversity loss.
The European Land Stewardship Manual “Caring together for nature in Europe, manual on land stewardship as a tool to promote civic engagement with natural environment” will be presented.
- Co-creation of an action plan to improve and disseminate Land stewardship in EU countries.
Through a facilitation activity the workshop participants will be directly involved in the creation of an action plan and a strategy to develop and improve Land stewardship in Eu countries. The results of this work will be shared during the Congress in Barcelona in 2014.
- Land stewards’ first national assembly
During the workshop Legambiente will organise the first official meeting of all the land stewards in Italy. The workshop will be a great opportunity to involve land stewards in the dissemination of land stewardship and to create a stronger network.
- Case study visit
The experience of Agricola Pavese in Giussago as a best practice of Land Stewardship. We will also have a taste of the great products of pure origin!