Land: Quality of Life, a Green Congress
The organisation of the First European Land Stewardship Congress, Land: Quality of Life has been based on the overall philosophy of reducing the event’s ecological footprint according with the following objectives:
- Reduce the environmental impacts of the congress;
- Become a model in the organisation and sustainable management of stewardship congresses;
- Insofar as possible, compensate for the Ecological Footprint of the associated unavoidable impacts.
To this end LandLife has established an internal working protocol for the planning and development of the LandLife Congres which includes recommendations addressed to attendees and volunteers to help us greening the Congress. The guidelines can be downloaded here: Volunteers, Participants, Recommendations for a Green Stay.
After the Congress the working protocol will be used as base for the creation of a European Protocol for green events of similar characteristics that could be implemented by other environmentally sound organisations.
In order to reduce the ecological impacts of the event the following measures have been considered:
- Selecting an environmentally friendly Congress centre as Cosmocaixa Barcelona which accounts with an Environmental Management System (EMS) based on ISO 14001 and the European EMAS Regulation. Cosmocaixa Barcelona has the commitment to develop all the activities within their centre with the maximum respect for the environment Cosmocaixa;
- Implementation of working methodologies and guidelines for organisers, workers and attendees that will minimise the consumption of resources such as energy and water and waste generation. See Handbook;
- Reducing paper consumption. The Congress’ organisers encourage the use of online documents and the use of material already printed, reducing the necessity to print new materials. During the Congress a minimum number of materials will be printed and always in 100% recycled paper;
- Offering and encouraging the use of more sustainable accommodations, restaurants and leisure activities. You can find more information by clicking Accomodation, Barcelona apps;
- Prioritize public transport. The Congress’ organisers encourage delegates to use public transport to move through the city of Barcelona and to arrive to the Cosmocaixa’s facilities. Barcelona accounts with one of the biggest and modern public transport network in Europe: the network of buses, subway, tramway and the trains of Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat and RENFE are at your disposal to go to one point of the city to another in a short time. You can find more information about how to arrive to the Congress venue by clicking here.
Besides, to compensate the unavoidable impacts that have been generated during the congress (carbon footprint and land cover) the following offset projects will be developed:
- Planting trees with the collaboration of Timberland, in areas under stewardship agreements. The activities will be organised before and after the Congress, so stay tuned for the concrete places and dates;
- Financing the preservation of old growth forests under land stewardship agreements through the initiative Compensanatura.